Friday, January 25, 2013

A pastel sort of day

I'm in the middle of watching Nannerl, la Soeur de Mozart (Mozart's Sister) and maybe my American sensibilities are getting in the way but I'm not really enjoying it. The acting feels really stilted to me, and the costumes are so-so other than nice color schemes. Because the library waiting list is so long for it, I sort of feel obligated to watch it all the way through having waited a month, but to take my mind off it, I dragged a lot of my stuff up from the basement to do an inventory and kind of fell in love with all my accessories again. My living room looks like a confectioner's shop right now! Pinks and blues and creams, yum. Also, here's a quick look at my UFO for the Sew Fortnightly challenge; I'll do a real post on it tomorrow when I put it on over a gown but I'm not sure I'll like it any more then. Bottom line...I really dislike this apron. Hate might be a strong word but this just doesn't please me much right now and I can't figure out why. It looks like a cross between my grandma's old drapes and a naughty maid outfit from a cheesy lingerie shop. But then I had a really bad day at work and that might be coloring everything for me at the moment...maybe a good night's sleep will help.

I will gladly take suggestions on how to improve the apron. Narrow the ruffles? Take them off entirely? Is the apron too wide? Argh.







5 comments:

  1. I think your apron looks lovely! I suppose it depends on the overall outfit you plan to wear it with. Sometimes things that look oversized by themselves look just right when put together with the whole ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Lauren! Yes you're probably right, I'd better try it on with a couple of different petticoats and gowns before I go messing with it.

      Delete
  2. I like the apron as-is, although I'd like to see it over a gown to get an idea of the scale.

    Mozart's Sister is on my Netflix queue, but my trouble is that I'm always doing stuff (usually translating) while watching tv, and I can't follow the subtitles at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just put it on over a gown and whoa it's big. Will post in a little bit.

      I'm so disappointed with Mozart's Sister...it just never got really dramatic and exciting, nor conversely was it winsomely subtle...but that's just personal opinion! I guess it does adequately display the cage that 18th century women were kind of trapped in, at least those of certain circles who had certain talents they wished they could develop, but society said NOPE.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to be a sheep and say that the apron is rather nice in its current condition. But, you know, get all dressed up and parade yourself on the blog so that your audience can judge you with greater certainty.

    (It seriously looks cute on the floor, though!)

    ReplyDelete