Ok so there's clearly some big differences, but I did enjoy making this so I'll show you some details and my walk with some of the STL Georgians at the most beauuuutiful cemetery.
The jacket ended up frequently not making sense to me at various points in the construction (shocker, coming from a Big Three pattern company). But the back turned out nicely!
I forgot that pattern matching takes up SO much more fabric than solids, so it's a good thing I had already made the skirt first before tackling the jacket! I didn't bother with the McCalls pattern for the skirt because I wasn't interested in the decorative aspects of that one, so I happily sprung for the Black Snail #0414 1890 Fan Skirt and it was a dream to work with. Super easy, done in a night, will look even better once I stop being a lazy bum and MAKE a bum(pad) and good crisp cotton petticoat. Did not line it as my (hopefully) cotton fabric was quite a good hefty weave. Thank you, thrift store! Initially, I was going to have this all be just a mock-up and make my actual Edwardian outfit out of a really inexpensive silk taffeta I had found (also plaid) but now I'm saving that for an 1830s gown instead because I feel like this turned out satisfactory ENOUGH to wear for some Edwardian events.
VERY busy, but I really kind of like it. The 'puff' of the sleeve heads isn't as obvious as I'd like it, but by the late 1890s it seems they were slimming down anyway.
This front is what I'm not overjoyed about. I just don't get those two weird little 'flap' pieces that start under the bust and I haven't seen any fashion plates with this curved-front opening beginning quite so high. I guess the idea is to keep you from having a bunch of darts in the front? I don't think it's very effective here though. Whatever. I trimmed it out with green velvet ribbon and some little shamrock curlies and it is what it is, which is wearable.
But I needed a jaunty little hat! And I had nothing suitable to retrim, not having done this era, so I rummaged in my craft room and came up with a plastic canvas and some jewelry wire, and just started cutting.
From my photoshoot with the striped macaron 18thc gown, I learned from watching the hairdresser that I have so much hair now that I can rat it up and effectively get a bit of height to it without underlying hair pieces.
And so, with cloth mask made from leftover scraps, I ventured out to the Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis to see friends at a distance! We took off our masks for single photos, but tried to be as safe as possible. The cemetery was STUNNING, my pictures don't do nearly justice, but it is many acres of lovely old stones on rolling hills (and lots of mausoleums built into the sides of hills that I only found after we were done with our walk). It's also an arboretum, and on this sunny fall day, the trees losing their leaves made a constant golden shower of confetti around us. The perfect lifting of spirits cooped up inside too long!